Send via SMS

A Guy's Moleskine Notebook

Thoughts and reflections on works of fiction and literature. Pondering of life through pictures and words. Babbling about gay rights. Travelogues and anecdotes.

  • [1] Annie Proulx: Brokeback Mountain
  • [2] Arthur Golden: Memoirs of a Geisha
  • [3] Yu Hua: To Live
  • [4] Alan Hollinghurst: The Line of Beauty
  • [5] Colm Toibin: The Master
  • [6] Carlos Ruiz Zafon: The Shadow of the Wind
  • [7] William James: The Varieties of Religious Experience
  • [8] Charles Higham: The Civilization of Angkor
  • [9] Graham Greene: A Burnt-Out Case
  • [10] Dai Sijie: Mr. Muo's Travelling Couch
  • [11] Alan Hollinghurst: The Swimming-Pool Library
  • [12] Mikhail Bulgakov: The Master and Margarita
  • [13] Colm Toibin: The Blackwater Lightship
  • [14] Alan Hollinghurst: The Folding Star
  • [15] Ross King: Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling
  • [16] Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Brothers Karamazov
  • [17] Jonathan Franzen: The Corrections
  • [18] Colm Toibin: The Story of the Night
  • [19] John Banville: Shroud
  • [20] Leo Tolstoy: Resurrection
  • [21] Peter Hessler: River Town, Two Years on the Yangtze
  • [22] Ian McEwan: The Atonement
  • [24] Gabriel Garcia Marquez: Love in the Time of Cholera
  • [25] Ignacio Padilla: Shadow without a Name
  • [26] Umberto Eco: The Name of the Rose
  • [27] Richard Russo: Straight Man
  • [28] Fyodor Dostoevsky: Notes from Underground
  • [29] Alan Hollinghurst: The Spell
  • [30] Hermann Broch: The Death of Virgil
  • [31] James Baldwin: Giovanni's Room
  • [32] Ken Kesey: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • [33] Xingjian Gao: One Man's Bible
  • [34] C. Jay Cox: Latter Days
  • [35] Harper Lee: To Kill A Mockingbird
  • [36] William Shakespeare: The Taming of the Shrew
  • [37] Daniel A. Helminiak: What The Bible Really Says about Homosexuality
  • [38] James Baldwin: Tell Me How Long the Train's Been Gone
  • [39] Kenji Yoshino: Covering - The Hidden Assault of Civil Rights
  • [40] Italo Calvino: If, On a Winter's Night A Traveler
  • [41] Arthur Phillips: The Egyptologist
  • [42] George Orwell: 1984
  • [43] Michael Warner: The Trouble with Normal: Sex, Politics, and Ethics of Queer Life
  • [44] Andrew Sullivan: Virtually Normal
  • [45] Henry James: The Wings of the Dove
  • [46] Jose Saramago: Blindness
  • [47] Umberto Eco: The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana
  • [48] Dan Brown: Da Vinci Code
  • [49] Kazuo Ishiguro: Never Let Me Go
  • [50] Ken Follett: The Pillars of Earth
  • [51] Leo Tolstoy: War and Peace
  • [52] Michael Thomas Ford: Alec Baldwin Doesn't Like Me
  • [53] Jonathan Franzen: How To Be Alone
  • [54] Jonathan Lethem: The Fortress of Solitude
  • [55] Matthew Pearl: The Dante Club
  • [56] Zadie Smith: White Teeth
  • [57] Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Double
  • [58] Jose Saramago: The Double
  • [59] Andrew Holleran: Dancer from the Dance
  • [60] Heinrich von Kleist: The Marquise of O & Other Stories
  • [61] Andrew Holleran: In September, the Light Changes
  • [62] Tom Perrotta: Little Children
  • July 27, 2006

     

    Ideal Marriage Ceremony?

    Reading this post at Fluent In Fag cracks me up about how I used to be frenzied about my own marriage ceremony. But deep down in my heart and in my mind I know there won't be a bride at my wedding. Anyway, quoting Fluent In Fag:

    "I also wanted the whole white-dress and tuxedo Western church wedding - somewhat odd in retrospect, because in addition to being a flaming queenlet, I was also a raging atheist - with the hushed awe as I walked down the aisle (I wanted to be in the dress), the solemnity and explicitness of the vows, and the awesome drama queen moment where the priest asks if anyone has any reasons that these two should not be wed, and everybody looks down while priest and couple glare accusingly at the crowd. It all sent shivers down my spine. I wanted a honeymoon too."

    Okay. I used to dream about a tiny chapel, ribboned pews, pealing bells, the plush red carpet, the hushed awe as my bride demurely proceeding down the aisle, the beautiful unraveling of Pachelbel's Canon, the solemnity of the vows, and finally the first kiss. I have been to wedding like this, and in fact a few times already, as the best man! I enjoy being the right hand man to the groom because everyone--friends, family, and guests, treats the best man cordially and with a shade of deference and appreciation that is a tribute to his friendship with the groom.

    I appreciate the personal aspect of marriage, which is a vow between two people who love each other unconditionally. For better or worse, till death do they part. Two people, unite into one, negotiate through their difference in life experiences, their selfishness, treat each other with kindness and consideration. Of course there will be argument but being honest and vulnerable with feelings shall overcome any barrier in relationship.

    If I am having a marriage ceremony, it will be very simple. I'll take up the vow at the beach, feet waddling in the glittering water, on an tropical island, maybe like Langkawi, late in the afternoon awaiting sunset. There won't be tuxedo or cummerband just Irish white linen shirt and white capri (I know that's so gay) pants and sandals, maybe a straw hat to block the sun. Nor would there be catering, or live music. All our friends will come witness the exchange of vow and celebrate with us like a beach party. Honeymoon would be to take up residence in the shacks built on water.

    Meanwhile my iPod is playing:

    8 Comments:

    Blogger manoverbored said...

    Oh wow, Langkawi! That brings back memories. I went on holiday with my family there twice as a kid. I'd never swum in such calm clear sea water before, or played in such clean, fine sand. Memorably, we went to one of the nearby islands (possibly so small it didn't have a name), and were startled by 2 HUGE Komodo dragons (or some other big lizard) coming out of the jungle. In my 12-year-old memory they were as big as lions. There was lots of screaming and everyone ran for the water. It was like some kind of horror movie. The lizards eventually went back into the undergrowth.

    Langkawi wasn't too crowded back then, so that was nice. This was over 10 years ago, though. Not sure if all that has changed with Malaysia's tourism industry expanding.

    7/27/2006 7:13 PM  
    Blogger matty said...

    I have never "gotten" the whole joy of that ceremony. I avoid them at all costs. LOL! But, I know I am the exception to the rule.

    Monday night!?!? Still on?

    7/28/2006 10:25 AM  
    Blogger mattviews said...

    mingerspice,
    Langkawi has no doubt been commercialized over the years and become a Club Med type of destination. I miss the serene beaches and crystal clear water. I would want to get married there! :)

    7/28/2006 11:14 AM  
    Blogger mattviews said...

    John,
    Thanks for your kind words and continuing support.

    So many "Johns" here I have a hard time keeping up who is who! :)

    7/28/2006 11:25 AM  
    Blogger mattviews said...

    matty,
    I can see you grooving dancing the night away at trophical island.

    Yep still up Monday night. Let me know...call me.

    7/28/2006 11:43 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi, how are you ?? I'm Bear. Your blog is very nice and rich. So I think you like to travel. Anyway, thanks to drop me a line in my blog and I will always came here to visit you.

    see you later

    Bear

    7/28/2006 5:31 PM  
    Blogger mattviews said...

    Bear,

    I like your blog too. I've been reading your post on and on. Hope you're feeling better. :)

    7/28/2006 7:10 PM  
    Blogger Shephard said...

    Visiting from Carmi's.
    Beautiful song. :) Really enjoyed listening to it.
    ~S

    7/29/2006 10:47 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home